About Christopher Mason

My name is Chris Mason. My three siblings and I grew up in a small town in central Massachusetts. When I was 9 years old, I started an organization named S.C.A.R.F (Save Condemned Amazon Rainforests). I recruited members and together we canvassed door-to-door to raise money. With the money we raised we were able to buy and preserve an acre of land in the Amazon rainforest.

I came out when I was 14 to my parents, friends, family, and classmates. Since that time, I have been an advocate for social justice and equality.

At age 15, I started a campaign to expel military recruiters from my high school based on the district’s non-discrimination policy. That was when I first encountered anti-gay politics and strong prejudice.

encouraged students and faculty to promote tolerance and acceptance in my high school. I was the president of the gay/straight alliance and worked hard to educate others at school and in the community on LGBT issues.

I have worked on campaigns for many candidates and incumbents in the Massachusetts State Legislature. I was the campaign manager for a pro-equality candidate running against a staunch opponent of LGBT rights. I have also worked inside the State House, serving as Executive Assistant to the first female Senate President of Massachusetts.

I was a field organizer for MassEquality, working to protect equal marriage rights in Massachusetts. In 2006 I founded TakeMassAction, a watchdog group dedicated to tracking the radical right in Massachusetts and alerting the queer community of upcoming events, rallies, protests, hearings and meetings involving LGBT issue.

I am currently a full-time student majoring in History and Government. In early 2008, I was elected to Ward 1 of the Cambridge Democratic City Committee, and appointed as a Commissioner to the City of Cambridge GLBT Commission. I am also honored to serve on the Friends of GLBT Youth Board of Directors. My newest project is called Driving Equality, a 100-day, 16,000-mile road-trip through all of the lower 48 states to examine LGBT equality and discrimination throughout the nation. I have a fierce passion for politics and social justice. My core issues are preserving the environment, achieving universal healthcare, protecting civil liberties, reforming immigration, combating poverty, ending war, promoting peace, and securing LGBT rights.